Harness Racing at times has some type of strange system that we only acknowledge outstanding people if we want something from them, if they have just retired from the sport or worst still, when they pass away.
Well, while l’m driving Harnessbred.com, I’m not going to make the same mistake and we are going to highlight some real superstars of our sport.
Today, a very loyal follower of our site called me about a truly remarkable act that l feel needs sharing.
A long time breeder (who l won’t name as l don’t have his permission at this stage ) had 2 Caribbean Blaster fillies consigned in the Bathurst yearling sale on the weekend. I’m told both fillies where extremely well prepared and looked an absolute treat as walked into the sales ring. To the surprise of many, both fillies failed to a get a bid at $3,000.
Enter Rob Nalder, a man who not only believes in and backs his own product (owner of Caribbean Blaster) but a real outstanding leader in our sport. Rob was shocked these stylish fillies couldn’t even reach a very low reserve of $3,000.
So he picked up the phone called the consignor and bought both lots for $5,000 each. That’s $2,000 more per filly than the required or reserve amount.
Rob did this for three reasons
- He is a good bloke that wanted to support a long time, successful breeder, that was having a challenging day.
- He has supreme confidence that Caribbean Blaster will do a fantastic job at producing very fast juveniles.
- He stands up for good people and wants to support those, that have been breeding to his young stallion.
Please note the Bathurst Sale is not the only place Rob has been active buying progeny of Caribbean Blaster. He also found a well presented yearling at the APG sale in Sydney only 4 weeks ago.
I’m sure Rob has the right to be a bit cranky with me sharing his private dealings, however this story was just too important for me not to publish and l hope he understands. If you ever run into him, please congratulate him on this and the commitment and passion he has for our sport.
The above highlights to me the value of supporting our locally owned world class stallions.
From all the people connected to harnessbred.com can we just say, Rob Nalder, you are a STAR.
Please see below, taken from Alabar’s website
1:52.6 – $1,113,678. Bay Horse foaled 2007. 16 Hands
Caribbean Blaster is a multiple Group One winning son of Bettor’s Delight.
As a racehorse he set an Australasian Record as a 3yo, won the Chariots Of Fire and Breeders Crown as a 4yo before going on to win the Victoria Cup and South Australia Cup at FFA level.
His trainer Andy Gath had this to say about Caribbean Blaster: “He’s the most perfect horse I’ve ever trained. He’s everything you want in a horse – great gaited, a great constitution and amazing recovery rate after a tough run, perfect conformation and always gave 120% in all his races.”
Caribbean Blaster lacks absolutely nothing in terms of breeding, being by Bettor’s Delight from a magnificent maternal family that continues to produce outstanding juveniles.
- A multiple Group One winning, super tough son of Bettor’s Delight.
- Won the Chariots Of Fire & Breeders Crown at four – Went on to win an exhilarating Victoria Cup and an epic South Australian Cup.
- Defeated some of the best horses of the modern era – Im Themightyquinn, Smoken Up, Sushi Sushi, The Gold Ace, Washakie, Melpark Major, Mah Sish, etc.
- A stunning individual with impeccable conformation.
- From a magnificent maternal family that is renowned for producing outstanding juveniles.
Approved By Dean Baring www.harnessbred.com
Driving The Future Of Harness Racing