This is the seventeenth of an occasional series of articles reviewing multiple classic producing broodmares with five or more offspring in results information as shown on the Classic Families (CF) database. A number of these mares won classic races, became the dams of classic winners/progeny and contributed to the genetic inheritance of numerous outstanding performers.
MARLEE JAYNE (1992 Comic Capers/Desire Byrd), Australian family of Submarine (A36), 2:02.0, $52,366; 11 foals, 9 to race for 8 winners. Breeder : JW Prosser, TAS. Foals all bred by C Johnstone except Whatasportsman (MR Green, TAS)
Colonial stallion (born in Australia) Comic Capers (Hilarious Way/Paula Neptune) Marlee Jayne’s sire was an eight time Tasmanian winner (4 Launceston, 3 Hobart) from 36 starts, $16,784, 2:00.9. Marlee Jayne (see below) was his one substantive winner of six winning Australian progeny sired and Lucky Capers was his one sub two minute performer (1:59.6, 4 wins). Comic Capers has ten broodmare credits including eight that trace to Marlee Jayne plus Sunrise Part Girl and Sunrise Cruiser both from Cosmic Connection.
Dam Desire Byrd (Atashy/Dazzle Byrd by Santa Byrd) was the winner of ten races in Tasmania (4 Launceston, 3 Hobart), $13,805, 2:04.1. Her progeny included six live foals of which two raced, both of them winners – Marlee Jayne (see below) and El Finito, a winner at Devonport, $3,485, 2:07.2.
This is the family of Submarine, who produced three foals for two winners in Blue Ribbon, 2:27.7 (TAS St Marys/North Eastern Cups), owned by R Oliver, Tasmania and Revilosh, 2:16.4 (Danbury Park Cup three times), owned by WC Anderson, also of Tasmania. Predominantly a Tasmanian family, Submarine’s descendants apart from Marlee Jayne’s progeny included Main Bridge (TAS Easter/Burnie Cups), Paleface Tiki (TAS Pacing Championship, Metropolitan/North Eastern/Carrick/Burnie Cups), Torrevean Derby (WA Golden Slipper – 2c, WA Spring Gift – 3), Karalta Newk (TAS Guineas), Shezallapples (1:53.0, $175,120, NSW Breeders Challenge – 2f, NSW Ready To Run Graduate – 2).
Marlee Jayne was a ten race winner (2:02.0, $52,366) in Tasmania (4 Launceston, 4 Hobart) which is where the majority of this breed has raced. Her wins included Belmont (Killarney) – 2f and as a three year old filly Princess Of Pace, Bracelet and SS (Bandbox). She left eleven foals, nine of whom raced for eight winners.
Note : classic winning progeny (six) of classic producing mare Marlee Jayne are underlined.
The maternal line descendants of family of Marlee Jayne follow – male progeny included :
- Dare We Dream, 1:58.0, $105,419, 14 Tas wins (9 Hobart/5 Launceston) in 17 starts, TAS Sweepstakes – 2c, Prince of Pace – 3/SS Globe Derby – 3c
- Dream Catch Me, 1:57.9, $77,108, 15 (10 VIC [1 Melton]/5 TAS [4 Hobart/1 Launceston]) wins
- Make A Memory, 1:55.3US, $137,527, 16 (12 TAS [8 Hobart/3 Launceston]/2 VIC, 1 at Melton/2 NA) wins, TAS Youthful/Yearling Sale Classic – 2c, Prince Of Pace – 3
- Tassie Gangster, 1:59.5, $31,075, 4 (2 TAS at Hobart/2 VIC at Kilmore) wins, TAS Youthful – 2
- Colsta, 1:58.1, $88,578, 12 TAS wins (7 Hobart/5 Launceston) in 20 starts, TAS SS – 2c/3c, Sweepstakes – 2c, Guineas
- Liams Dream, 2:04.3, $24,626, 4 TAS wins, 1 at Launceston
Marlee Jayne’s fillies included :
- Lourdes, 1:51.2US, $394,614, 36 (11 TAS [8 Launceston/3 Hobart/25 NA) wins, TAS SS Bandbox Stakes -3f, Golden Mile, George Johnson, dam of four winners
- Glenferrie Lady, 2:01.9, $12,605, 3 VIC wins
- Another Fireball, 1:55.1, $59,673, 11 (4 VIC/6 NSW/1 QLD at Albion Park) wins
- Soho Montelena, 1:56.7, $12,328, winner at Ballarat and Charlton
- Santa Madre, 1:56.6, $10,190, winner at Kilmore and Ballarat
- Sophie Ellen, 2:02.7, $25,270, 4 wins in 9 starts, TAS Belmont (Killarney) – 2f; dam of Another Dreamer, 1:59.2, $27,936, 5 (3 TAS at Hobart/2 NSW) wins
Final Article in series on Classic Winner Producing Mares : GORSE BUSH
1 November 2017
Approved By Dean Baring www.harnessbred.com
Driving The Future Of Harness Racing