This is the fourteenth of an occasional series of articles reviewing multiple classic producing broodmares with five or more offspring in results information as shown on the Classic Families (CF) database. A number of these mares won classic races, became the dams of classic winners/progeny and contributed to the genetic inheritance of numerous outstanding performers.
FIONAS FLAIR (1986 Entrepreneur/Fiona Lyn) Australian family of Lady Venture (A63), T2:02.8, $79,634; 11 foals, 10 raced for 8 winners. Breeder : New Horizon’s Pacing Group, DJ Mitchell Mgr, VIC. Foals all bred by Kevin (KP) & Faye (FG) Waller, VIC except Gypsy Fair (DJ & SB Poole)
Sire Entrepreneur (Bye Bye Byrd/Tarport Rose by Thorpe Hanover) was one of Bye Bye Byrds best early siring successes (those to stand in Australia included Nardins Byrd, Bye And Large, Bye Bye Sam, Entrepreneur). He had recorded a then phenomal time of 1:56 4/5 as a two year old in USA, $104,675, 7 wins. Entrepreneur stood at Lemon Tree Stud producing 271 winners in Australia (419 worldwide), many successful in the trotting gait. His winners included Dark Edge (AUST Trotters Championship), Hyperstat (VIC SS – 3f/4m), Imprimatar (NSW Derby, Fremantle Cup), La Bay (VIC SS – 3c), Dusty Preneur (NSW Breeders Plate – 2), Maori Princess (VIC SS – 3T), Miss Excellence (NSW Trotters Derby), Preuz Amara (VIC SS – 4h).
Leading Broodmare sire of trotters in Australia in 2004 and 2005, his 295 credits apart from Fionas Flairs progeny include Black Line (APG – 2c), Ginger Bliss (TAS Derby), Sumthingaboutmaori (refer Maori Trump tenth article in this series), Twebby Twotter (VIC/NSW Trotters Oaks, Cranbourne Trotters Cup).
Dam Fiona Lyn (Timely Ace/Lynmont Hanover), 2:11.0, $3,900, two VIC wins, was the dam of 10 foals, 5 raced for 2 winners
- Fionas Flair (see below)
- Roscalet, pacer, $0, dam of winner, Master Johnson, 1:58.7, $21,856, 5 VIC wins
- Captain Of Fortune, 2:03.7, $10,385, 2 VIC wins
This is the family of Lady Venture (A63) bred by T Allen, Glenloth, VIC who also bred Lady Venture’s two non winning foals including Inez Derby which leads ultimately to Lynmont, Fiona Flairs third dam. The family includes Lynmont (SA/VIC Oaks), Power Of Carome (SA Derby), Oscar Le Veint (VIC SS – 3c), Foreign Power 1:56.9TT Moonee Valley as well as Fionas Falir and her progeny.
Fionas Flair, was a $4,500 yearling purchase, T2:02,8 (1940m), $79,634, who recorded 15 VIC wins (5 at Moonee Valley) including RR Cochran/Warragul/3KZ Austin Hospital/Kilmore/Ballarat/Yarra Valley Trotters Cups, Cochran Cup, Legends of Trot. Racing at open class trotter level in the competitive Victorian trotting environment before being retired due to a fetlock injury. She went on to greater deeds in the breeding barn with three sub 1:57 trotters and four $200,000+ winners.
Note : classic winning progeny (five) of classic producing mare Fionas Flair are underlined.
The maternal line descendants of family of Fionas Flair follow – male progeny included :
- Mighty Maori, T1:55.1, $256,305, 40 (13 VIC [2 Moonee Valley]/27 NA) wins, VIC SS – 4T, Shepparton Classic, Central VIC Trotting Championship
- Son of Flair, T1:56.1US, $257,909, 27 (15 VIC [5 Moonee Valley]/12 NA) wins, VIC Trotters Derby, VIC SS – 3T, Central VIC Trotting Championship, John Slack Memorial, Connelly Crystal Bucket, Australian 3yo Trotter of Year
- A Touch of Flair, full sister to Petite Flair, T1:52.3, $569,197, 34 (29 VIC [11 Moonee Valley]/1 SA at Globe Derby/4 NA) wins, VIC Trotters Derby, Dullard Cup (twice), George Gath, Cochran/Nyah/Chris Howe/Cranbourne/Bendigo/Bruce Skeggs Trotters Cups, AUST Trotting Grand Prix, ID heats (2, 2nd final twice)
- Down Under Muscles, full brother of Imamusclesyankee, T2:01.1, $216,925, 17 VIC (3 Moonee Valley), VIC Trotters Derby (heat), Scotch Notch Memorial, George Gath, Kilmore/Maryborough Trotters Cups
- Imamusclesyankee, T2:04.3, $31,108, 7 (5 VIC [1 at Melton]/2 SA at Globe Derby) wins, FFA at Globe Derby
- Le Acteur, T2:07.3, $4,050, winner at Bendigo
Fionas Flair’s fillies included :
- Petite Flair, T2:04.1, $3,675, winner at Kilmore, dam of Mister Pepe, T2:04.4, $50,922, 10 (7 SA at Globe Derby/3 VIC) wins, SA Hambletonian, Bernie McCue Memorial
- Flash And Flair, unraced, dam of two winners
- Our Flash Girl, T2:03.4, $38,675, 6 VIC wins
- Solar Flash, T2:01.0, $6,765, winner at Bendigo
- Dream Of Flair, T2:05.5, $17,484, 3 VIC wins
Next Article in series on Classic Winner Producing Mares : DRAW CARD
11 October 2017
Approved By Dean Baring www.harnessbred.com
Driving The Future Of Harness Racing